Re: Mail Issues (pt 2 )

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 11:58 -0400, Rich Johnson wrote:
> On May 12, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Richard wrote:
>
> > Thought I would re-explain myself
> >
> > Regarding Mail,
> > What I wanted to do, if possible,
> > is to have the mail fetch from pop3 accounts (several)
> > ( thousands ) avg 2800 per day
> > and have spam filters applied and rules applied, and move into
> > folder, as pure text messages,
> > with header intact.
> [...snip...]
>
> If I understand correctly:
> A straightforward fetchmail -> exim4/spamassassin configuration

Or postfix instead of exim4.

> using  Maildir format should handle this without difficulty.  I

You definitely want to use Maildir instead of mbox.

> handle ~1K messages per day with just such a setup.   I handle the
> sorting with .forward rules, though I suppose you could also use
> exim4 pipe/process filters or an external ''delivery agent'' for more
> sophisticated filtering. (I hope I have the terminology right)

Yes, a Mail Delivery Agent like maildrop.

maildrop integrates well with courier-IMAP (which uses Maildir).

And with IMAP (even if it's on your workstation) you get MUA
independence, for example if, in my case running experimental and
Sid, Evolution breaks or as happened last week, X breaks.

In that case, I used Mutt from the console and had complete access
to my old emails.

> I'd first setup and test exim4 and spamassassin, then configure
> fetchmail to feed exim4 from the popboxes.
>
> What you're doing differently is that you're _keeping_ the messages
> (255K of them) whereas I purge any mailboxes with >10K messages.  If
> you choose to use Maildir, I'd advise that you configure your system
> to limit the number of messages maintained in a particular
> directory.  I think funny things can happen on ext2 filesystems when
> directory nodes contain >2^15 entries.

Really?  I've got a directory with 700,000 files in it, and while
first-access takes a minute to pull into cache, after that it
works fine.

$ dir /data/01
total 12148
drwxr-xr-x   6 root root       4096 Oct 16  2005 ./
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root       4096 Oct 16  2005 ../
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root       4096 Oct  4  2005 051003.2352/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root      49152 Oct 15  2005 lost+found/
drwxrwxr-x   6 me   people     4096 Jun 14  2005 share/
drwxrwx--x 259 me   me     12345344 Apr 30 15:07 temp/

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"By 2000, politics will simply fade away. We will not see any
political parties."
R. Buckminster Fuller, 1966