Re: Gnome works KDE does not

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 16:44:58 +0200, Mark Panen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have one problem with the installation of debian on my PC that I hope you
> can give me advice on how to solve. My PC is a standard P4 with 256 ram and
> 80GB hd.
>
> I have installed debian sarge on my laptop (Dell Latitude) successfully. I
> used the installer that installed a desktop configuration with KDE and
> GNOME. Everything works, including installing some packages from the
> internet.
>
> I then installed debian on my PC. Everything works in GNOME.
>
> However when I use KDE and as soon as I open Konqueror, the harddrive comes
> on and it sits there accessing whatever on the drive. The system seems to
> "hang" - no response from mouse or keyboard. I then have to reset.

Try to start konqueror from the command line in a konsole window and
check for error messages. You can use

konqueror --geometry 10x10

to make sure that the konqueror window is small and does not cover the
messages in the konsole window. (Move the konsole window down a bit
first.)

Other files to look at are .xsession-errors in you home directory,
/var/log/syslog, and maybe /var/log/XFree86.0.log. The best thing would
be to use another computer and try to log in on the "crashed" box via
ssh to investigate. If you cannot do this, you could start KDE, then
switch to a free terminal (e.g. CTRL + ALT + F2), log in and run

export DISPLAY=:0; konqueror &

This will start konqueror in X but you will stay on the terminal and
(hopefully) be able to have a look at the log files mentioned above.
Another tool to use is "top" to find out if some crashed process is
hogging the CPU. (Start "top", press "u" and type your user name; this
will show you all your processes and their CPU and memory usage. You can
quit with "q".)

--
Regards,
          Florian