RE: How to correct corrupted dependencies?

It won't let me install the package (even using -f) until "apt-get -f install"
(with no package name) is run, and when I run "apt-get -f install" it crashes
out; presumably because the dependencies reference a non-existent file.  (See
the error messages in my original email).

I've been through the man page, but it doesn't seem to have anything on what
to do when the information in the dependencies database is wrong; presumably
just locally.  If I could refresh the package information from the server that
would probably do the trick, but an "apt-get update" doesn't seem to be
enough.

BTW, I'm using Etch.

Thanks.