Re: Creating packages with changed configuration + using SCM for configs

On 5/10/06, lists-debian@latendresse.de <lists-debian@latendresse.de> wrote:
Hi,

I am new to the list (at least as poster), therefore my first words:
thanx to all people who continiously read and help others on the list.
I hope that I can join soon, too. I am setting up the needed
infrastructure right now...

Now to my problem:

I have installed debian on several PCs and a KuroBox (
http://www.kurobox.com/ , neat and siltne little gear ...). The more
PCs I use, the more difficult it gets to maintain them. So I would like
to create "configured deb packages", packages with local changes
made(examples: domainnames, bash profiles, screenrc). What I absolutely
do not want, is to build new packages everytime a new version gets
released. Is there a way to build meta-packages for configuration
files, that depend on the real packages? (for example a
screen-configured package which (pre-?)depends on screen).

The second problem is I would like to track the changes made to the
configuration files in a svn repository, any packages which micht be
helpful for that task?

OK, I hope i made it clear what I mean and want, if not blame me!

CU,

W. la Tendresse

You might want to take a look at Joey's svn home article:
http://www.kitenet.net/~joey/svnhome.html

That article is about keeping ~/ in svn (including dot files), but he
mentions that he has done some work towards putting parts of /etc
in svn.

I am not sure if he reads this list, if not I suppose you could email
him and ask about for more info about /ect in svn.

As for the packages, I don't know the details, but it sounds like
it is feasible. Sorry I can't help more on that.

Cheers,
Kelly