Open Office relative path vs. hard coded path

I'm running debian etch, and the latest version of OO available via
synaptic.

In moving OO documents from a Linux computer to an Apple laptop. I've
found something odd, when trying to link info among spreadsheets.

On the laptop, I can put the "relative" path, using "./" to get the
linking to work, yet n this Linux computer I have to specify the full
path to get the linking to work.

I always "assumed" that this was not necessary, but just using the "./"
would suffice.  Am I wrong or am I missing something?

Thanks

--
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers.42@gmail.com>
Registered Linux User #96112