Rough aide upgrade: aide.conf.autogenerated and DNSDOMAINNAME?

Yesterday I upgraded aide to 0.11a-3 and I've had a heck of a time
getting it to run.  I eventually pinned the problem down to a syntax
error in this line in /var/lib/aide.conf.autogenerated :

@@define DNSDOMAINNAME

and figured out that the problem was coming from this line in
/etc/aide/aide.conf.d/10_aide_hostname :

echo "@@define DNSDOMAINNAME $(dnsdomainname | escapere)"

I commented this line out and copied it with a private lan name
instead of "$(...)".  Aide now seems to be running.  But I'd like to
know what the "right" way to deal with this is.

Where does /bin/dnsdomainname get its output from?

And what in the world does escapere mean?

--
Thanks,
Adam