Re: screwed console [help, please]

Mauro Condarelli wrote:
From: Mauro Condarelli <MC5686@mclink.it>
From: "Martin A. Brooks" <martin@antibodymx.net>
Mauro Condarelli wrote:
Question is:
How can I reset /dev/tty1 from another virtual console (other
consoles work ok).
I *know* I can fix it "the Windows way" (i.e.: rebooting),
but I would like
to do it cleanly, if possible (and learn something in the
process).
Try "set tty sane".

Could You elaborate, please?

My tty1 is "not sane" and not logged in.
I tried both "set tty sane" and "set tty1 sane" from tty3, but nothing changed.

Update:
I also tried "stty -F /dev/tty1 sane", which I suspect is what You meant.
No joy.
Still stairway effect.
Still "Login incorrect" as soon as I type the *second* char of the password.

Any other idea?
I'm at Witt's End.

I don't think there is a way. Linux console handling is not the greatest, judging from years of attempting to use Ruby, a multi-user patch of the kernel console code. There seems to be no interest in fixing it because of the overwhelming use of X. Newer users only know consoles as a way to get to X and only old-time mainframe users are interested in consoles.

Case in point: VMware and the new free vmserver-beta2. That has a beautiful X setup tool that is far better than dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. The console? Looks terrible! Stuck at 800x600 format!