Re: What is the dd command ???

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 11:29:31AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:24:00AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:

[snip]

No, a sector copy is not a bit-for-bit copy, as sectors do not have
to be arranged sequentially on the track. In fact, sectors used
normally to be written with interleave to speed up access. I haven't
looked into it lately, so I dunno whether sectors are now commonly
written with interleave of 3 as used to be, or are now sequential.

yup. I only mean that Im interpreting the statements in the install
guide as indicating that the entire disk image, boot record and all is

Ok. But it is important sometimes to make these distinctions.
A sector-by-sector copy is not a bit-for-bit copy, as floppies
do not store bits. There are inter-sector gaps, for example.

being copied. I might have some truly blank floppies around... I'll
play with them and see what happens.

Be sure that one of your discs is a 720K disc, and has been degaussed.
BTW, if it Just Works on high-mu discs, even when never formatted,
then I suspect that it will ruin your 720K disc. So make sure it's
one you don't mind losing. I know I've got some 720K discs around
somewhere, one of which I could sacrifice...

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.