Re: What is the dd command ???

On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:24:00AM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >bootable floppy disk with it. This is different than a windows/dos
> >made bootable floppy in that it doesn't have any windows or dos system
> >on it. You use any blank floppy and the rawrite program to copy the
> >disk image over to the floppy. make sense?
>
> I believe that the disc must have been formatted. Unless a low-level
> format has been done to establish sectors, I don't think dd could
> write to the floppy. It must also have a BR with a BPB in it, I do
> believe, else how could it distinguish, e.g. 720K floppy from a 1.44M
> floppy? If I can find a floppy I am willing to degauss, I'll give it
> a try...

not to argue :) but the debian installer manual chapter 4.3 makes no
reference to formatting the floppy. It does refer to make a "sector
copy" and writing in a raw format which tells me its bit-for-bit copy
of a disk including its boot sectors and fs. man dd is suitably
uninformative.

I can't honestly say what condition the last set of floppies I dd'ed
were, but I do know they wouldn't boot before and would boot after...