Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Matthias Julius wrote:
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:
>

>>The problem is that public schools are very wasteful.
>

> Is there no way of improving this?  There were examples of public
> schools brought up in this thread that actually do work.

Again, the problem is that the lack of a profit motive hampers efficiency.

>>With private schools all competing for the market, I can virtually
>>guarantee that the market average cost to educate a student would be
>>much less than what is being spent now by the government.
>

> Even if all schools were private IMHO they would require some
> regulation to maintain some common standard.  Do private schools
> actually provide school busses?

Some do, if they ned it to be competitive.  Other don't if they don't
want to or can't.

> Do you believe private schools would be a lot cheaper than they are
> now and still maintaining a high standard?

Absolutely.  I volunteer teach at my church's academy (K-12).  They
charge about $2000/year in tuition becauase they want to stay affordable
to the working class families in the meighborhood where the church is
located.  They do an absolutely bang-up job.  Far better than most
public schools (and I had an *outstanding* public school experience).

>>>And to get everyone educated benefits everyone in a community - not
>>>only those with children.
>>>

>>Agreed.  It also benefits everyone to have air travel, but we are not
>>all taxed so everyone can fly for "free."
>

> While air travel is not essential for live - education is.

Please go and review Maslow's Hierarchy of Need.  Basically, you need
food, clothes, shelter and physical security (e.g., survival) to live.
Everything else is a bonus.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez