etch: can no longer login

Something seems to be broken in etch (I know the caveats regarding
running etch vs. stable) but in the last day or so I've done an update
and upgrade and something seems to be broken relative to 'su' and
'sudo' - I'm getting errors of the form:

dfox@m206-157:~$ su root
su: Module is unknown
Sorry.

or

dfox@m206-157:~$ sudo unmount /dev/hdd
sudo: pam_authenticate: Module is unknown

This just happened very recently.

And if I try logging on on a VC, it just says "login incorrect"

I have a root shell opened so I can wait I guess until something gets
fixed - as long as this box doesn't go down and I have then to boot it
up with a knoppix or something :()

"New shell" in kde works, but not "New Root Shell" - likely because in
the former I'm not relogging in, just spawning another instance of bash
running under konsole.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.