Re: GNOME V. KDE (was Re: New user need some help

Mike McCarty wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

I did try to use and understand GNOME (honest!) but it's too warped for
my brain (or vice versa :-). To give an example: burning a CD etc under
KDE I invoke k3b, select type of disc to burn, pick files to put on it,
set a few options (e.g. joliet if I want to play my mp3s on my car
player) and off we go. Under GNOME there's some business with nautilus

Umm, on my system, I do the same thing, using GNOME.
Is K3b part of KDE? I wasn't aware of that. If so, then how come I
can use it with GNOME? I thought KDE and GNOME were simple managers
which can invoke any number of applications.
Mostly, I use it to load my e-mail handler, my web browser, and
start CLI windows.

I fail to see how either KDE or GNOME could be much better or
worse at doing these things than the other.

I've on occasion seen people who really love or hate either
GNOME or KDE, but for me I fail to see that one or the other
has any particular advantage.

OK, Fairy Nuff. I guess the choice comes down to
(a) the look & feel
(b) what apps are bundled with it
Since my first experience with GNOME was of the apps bundled with it that rather put me off. Now that I know what I want to use (e.g. k3b) I could probably get along with GNOME if I had to. However since I'm now reasonably familar with KDE it'd be a learning curve to get into GNOME so there'd have to be some positive incentive to do so.

John Stumbles