Re: Gnome/KDE resources

On 04/26/2006 02:20 PM, Christopher Nelson wrote:

>>> Cool. Do you launch them just by kicking off kdesktop and gnome-panel
>>> somewhere in the openbox config?
>

> If I were to put them somewhere, it would be in my .xsession (if I used
> xdm/gdm/kdm) or .xinitrc (if I used startx), right before the command
> "exec openbox"--at least that's how I start docker and gkrellm, I don't
> know if gnome-panel and kdesktop require anything else.

On sarge, I'm using gdm and .xsession to launch openbox and several
apps. like esd (sound daemon), gkrellm (monitor panel), aterm (light
weight xterm), xrandr (sets the screen res.), and gnome-settings-daemon
(though right now I don't remember what settings it manages for me!).

This gives me a quick-launch desktop with a terminal and gkrellm
monitor.  Then I launch my regular desktop apps with a simple script in
~/bin.  It's flexible, fast, easy to configure, etc.  No bloat.

Regards,
Ralph