Re: Text File Prints at Physical Page Boundary

Gil Citro wrote:
[...]
My problem is I want to print a plain text file from the command line,
but when I give the command lpr <file> or lp <file> the output starts
at the physical page boundary,   and since the printer can't print to
the physical page boundary, some of the output is cut off. [...]

Send the text through the pr(1) command:
$ pr -o 4 -W 72 filename.txt | lpr

In the old days of lpr, I think I remember creating a /etc/printcap that did this semi-automatically, so that I could do this:

$ lpr -Ptxt filename.txt

You can also use apsfilter which will auto-detect the file type and send it to the right processing program before printing.