Re: Firefox question about pop-up menus

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:08:55 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 06:23:56PM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

[...]

> > I just installed it for sarge from
> > http://readeasily.mozdev.org/installation.html
> >
> > You probably have to allow java and to set preferences > web features >
> > allow sites to install software
> > and add that url.
> >
> > Worked for me.
> But not for me.
> Are you using Sarge?
> Are you using the Firefox that is distributed by Debian as a .deb file?
> I have checked java and preferences. I see a window asking for permission
> to install software. I click on the button that gives permission. There
> is a short delay, after which the 'Extensions' window is still empty.
> Shouldn't all installed plugins be listed in this window? That seems to
> be implied by the help instructions for removing plugins. (It does confirm
> my memory that I've never gotten any plugin installed.)
>
> Have plugins been disabled in the Debian version?
> Please make suggestions as to what I should try.
> What information can I post that would help others help me?

I have noticed the following with Mozilla (and I hope it also is
applicable for Firefox): The installation of extensions often fails
because the installer was written by a brain-dead Windows programmer who
assumes that the installer will have write permissions in Mozilla's
system folder /usr/lib/mozilla. You can find this in the install.log in
the .mozilla folder of your users $HOME. To make it even worse, this
also happens with installers that have an explicit "install in the
user's homedir" option. I then either decide that the extension is not
that important to me, or I give my user temporary write permission for
the system folder and do the installation again. Maybe the same thing
works with /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox. (I always download the installer
file first so that I am at least not connected to a website while my
Mozilla system folder can be modified by the user.)

--
Regards,
          Florian