Firefox question about pop-up menus

First: I don't have to use Firefox. If there is another browser
that solves my problem, please suggest it. I'm willing to try
something new.

My problem: When I go to some web sites (more recently it seems)
and click on a hot-link, it brings up a menu that I am supposed
to select a sub-category from. The trouble is that the menu has
a transparent background. The existing web page shows through,
and I can't make out the text of the sub-categories. How can I
force pop-up menus to have opaque backgrounds? Use a different
browser is an OK answer, if you also suggest a particular one.

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net