Re: Firefox question about pop-up menus

Paul E Condon wrote:
First: I don't have to use Firefox. If there is another browser
that solves my problem, please suggest it. I'm willing to try
something new.

My problem: When I go to some web sites (more recently it seems)
and click on a hot-link, it brings up a menu that I am supposed
to select a sub-category from. The trouble is that the menu has
a transparent background. The existing web page shows through,
and I can't make out the text of the sub-categories. How can I
force pop-up menus to have opaque backgrounds? Use a different
browser is an OK answer, if you also suggest a particular one.

It is very annoying, but what I do when I encounter this (and have some spare time): I email a friendly complaint. I include a link to
http://validator.w3.org/
with their webpage included and tell them that their page isn't valid html-code and they should try to fix it (I've never seen one of those that was valid html).

Usually those pages also require java script, so you could optionally (friendly) tell them that how should you trust their java code if there are so many errors in their html.

Annoying web pages won't get better unless companies/maintainers get an incentive to improve.

Hope this helps - in the long run.

Johannes

NB: On my computer practically all webpages render worse with java than without (I have a high resolution, but small laptop display and most java programmers optimize the code for less, but larger pixels, so typically half of my screen is covered with very tiny fonts)