Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:34:46AM +0100, Merlin, the Mage wrote:
> On Sunday 23 April 2006 23:14, Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> > I don't understand why the idea of spending money to get an open
> > source solution seems, apparently, unreasonable to you.  I'm grateful
> > for all of the free (as in beer) open source software I'm able to use.
> > But as a developer, I'd get mighty P.O.'ed if someone told me I "had"
> > to code something.  Offer me money, and I might accept.  (Note: I'm
> > not a debian developer.  I don't mean that anyone should offer me
> > money to write something for debian, although if enough money were
> > offered, I might consider it *grin*.)
> Hi,

<snip>
> I can do this, but I can't write every single change someone think could be
> useful in my OS projects for free imediatly on request. That would be a
> fulltime job, that I would happly take, but that don't pay my bills. If I had
> some incoming stream that paid my bills, I would take more time with my OS
> projects, would implement more features, and would try to make everyone
> happy.
>
> For now, for free, the most I can do is make what I code for myself available,
> and consider the sugestions that are made to me. If someone want something I
> don't have time to implement, will have to buy me time. Cheapper, but yet
> enought to pay my bills.
>
> I think the same happens with most OS devels.
>
> Hugs and Kisses,
Hi Merlin and Monique,
as Merlin has shown, FLOSS devs have limited time.
Commercial time + FLOSS time + IRC time + fun=total time to do stuff.
This leads to tradeoffs. Most floss devs do not get paid to just do
floss. And thus can only modify their floss project with mostly their
own goals in mind because they do not have the luxury to spend more time
on them. This non-floss time is usually taken up by paying-the-bills.
I do not begrudge anyone for what they do or do not do but am just
stating that 'there are only so many hours in a day'. And for most floss
folks their project are usually created to achieve some goal, possibly
work and money related and sometimes not.
cheers,
Kev