Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On 2006-04-23, Kevin Mark penned:

[some snippage]

> In this context, free software user can never buy the software from
> a company because their is no company and their is no legal monetary
> contact between Debian and its developers and thus no one can make
> the free software developers do anything. The free software model
> does allow a free market whereby any other developer can be paid or
> convinced to do what you want.
>
> But it seems the free software developers are usually simply
> 'scratching their itch' to their satisfaction and others may or may
> not like the result.  And the average users is more or less
> powerless to force the free software developer to listen to them
> sans forking over money and the developers accepting a contract to
> do what they want.

When you say that the average user is powerless to force the free
software developer to listen to them, I'm wondering what you're
comparing this experience to.  Have you ever, as an average user, been
able to convince a commercial software company to do something for
you?  I'd love to hear about it, because that hasn't been my
experience.

I don't understand why the idea of spending money to get an open
source solution seems, apparently, unreasonable to you.  I'm grateful
for all of the free (as in beer) open source software I'm able to use.
But as a developer, I'd get mighty P.O.'ed if someone told me I "had"
to code something.  Offer me money, and I might accept.  (Note: I'm
not a debian developer.  I don't mean that anyone should offer me
money to write something for debian, although if enough money were
offered, I might consider it *grin*.)

--
monique

Help us help you: