Re: Playing midi?

On Monday 24 April 2006 06:47, Bruno Buys wrote:
> This is debian sarge with marillat multimedia sources. I'm trying to
> play a midi file, but I get a "Could not open /dev/sequencer to get some
> info. Probably there's another program using it" error, from kmid.
> That's the first time I try to open a midi file, so, probably I lack
> some config. Trying to open Settings > MIDI setup brings me the same
> window.
>
> What can I do?
>
> thanks!

Do you have the snd_seq module loaded?

For some reason, this module doesn't load automatically. I put it
in /etc/modules.

To get sound when playing midi, unless you are one of the lucky ones whose
soundcard has a built-in synth supported by ALSA (see alsaproject.org for
support info on your card, or kinfocenter will also tell you), you need
soundfonts; these cannot be included in Debian but are available free. Qsynth
is good for managing and using them.

Or you can use tiMidity with freepats as Wulfy has suggested.

I don't use aRts, but I think that can help here too.

HTH,

John