kernel 2.4.32 loading problem

Hi,

I am trying to use vanilla kernel 2.4.32 compiled Debian way based on
my current config file 'config-2.4.27-2-386' with some minor changes.
I am currently running etch with kernel 2.4.27-2-386.

I get the following error message during the bootup of kernel  2.4.32:
VFS: Cannot open root device "hda10" or 03:0a
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on 03:0a

Seeing that I am missing an initrd image I tried making one, but it
fails with the following message:
# mkinitrd -o initrd.img 2.4.32
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libdl.so.2: cannot

Could someone please point me to the right direction? My system is
running just fine for everything else.

Thanks,
Aravind.