Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

Hi there.

On 04/20/06 17:21, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> If all the Ubuntu patches make into Debian then that would be a
> huge boost for Debian!

Well, this seems to be a point where there must be some work left to do: not all
patches are being feed back to Debian (or upstream, for that matter).

For instance, I installed dapper flight-4 on my old laptop and the translations
to Brazilian Portuguese were bad. I tried registering to Launchpad and then
translated some strings from Abiword (or was it another program?).

I got tired of the web interface and it was late at night. I then mentioned this
opportunity of getting involved with Free Software development to a student of mine.

He translated a helluva strings and, still, after talking with the responsible
people on IRC (to get the work of this student integrated soon), I asked if they
were willing to feed it back to Debian or upstream and the response I got wasn't
that "human" or as kind as Ubuntu is promoted. :-(

Still, having some core Debian developers working for Ubuntu is a good thing for
Debian.

Regards, Rogério.

P.S.: And then, there's, the utnubu project... Which, in an ideal world, would
not have to exist.
Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/