Re: Postfix migration and Kolab?

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 19:07 -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Performance wise, you are better off running
> > spamassasin daemons rather than spamc, and I do so via amavisd-new.
>
> Umm, spamd is worthless without spamc to connect to it.

I think he confused spamassassin (the command) with spamc.  Quick&dirty
explanation, in case anyone is wondering:

spamassassin can be used three ways:

1.  The spamassassin binary, which does everything you need.  Basically
the program gets called for every mail scanned.

2.  spamc and spamd, which is basically spamc split in two separate
programs, giving it a server/client way of interactigin.  spamc simply
reads the mail, and sends it off to spamd.  spamd scans it, and sends it
back.  The advantage if this is twofold:  the "heavy" part of
spamassassin gets loaded only once, not for everyr mail.  spamc gets
loaded for each mail, but its a lot smaller/lighter/quicker to load, so
your performance is better.  The other advantage is you can spamc and
spamd running on separate servers.

3.  You can run spamassassin indirectly through amavisd-new, which only
links against spamassassin's libraries, but doesn't actually load any of
the abovementioned binaries.  I think mailscanner works this way too,
but I might be wrong.

In my opinion amavisd is the best solution of the above three - it
performs very well, and can use just about any virus scanner available
to scan mail with.

Hope this helps
Hans