Re: Recording on Debian/GNOME (Sid)

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 12:32:41AM +0200, Pascal Bonesh wrote:
>On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 22:37 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>> I have sound output (alsa), but I can't seem to get sound input (alsa as
>> well) to work properly, at least not so that the Sound Recorder can be
>> used. I do have some blinking lights in the Recording Level Monitor, so
>> I guess something is going right. Any tips/pointers?
>
>I just played around with sound myself (etch) yesterday and I noticed
>that some modules were not loaded. And without them sound-recording
>doesn't seem to work.
>
>Here is what I did to get sound recording to work:
># alsaconfig
>to make sure sound card and modules are properly loaded (you most likely
>won't need that)
># modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
>It doesn't *seem* to be card specific. But if your computer blows up,
>then you have been warned now :)

You don't need the oss modules. I'm using ALSA straight away instead and
it works nicely.

>After that you can test if alsa-recording is working:
># arecord -f cd -d 10 -t wav -N test.wav
>which records sound for 10 seconds and saves it
>
>After that I check if gstreamer is set up properly:
>#  gst-launch-0.8 osssrc ! vorbisenc ! filesink location=input.ogg
>Which does the same thing as above, but encodes the input in ogg-vorbis

Yes, I've gotten that far already. I have recording working fine from
the command line using the tool 'sound-recorder'. What I'd like is to
get the GNOME sound recorder working. It doesn't record anything, and
when started from the command line it offers no hints at all on what's
going wrong.

I've also tried audicity but that didn't work either. It's all getting a
little frustrating. Especially that I can't seem to find any Debian docs
on the subject. I'm suspecting Ubuntu "just works" since I can't find
any docs there either...

>In addition to all that I noticed that certain other things affect
>recording:
># gnome-volume-control
>In the capture tab, the "Capture" Device needs to be enabled (of
>course), and (on this computer) on the Tab "Switches" "stereo mic"
>disables recording completely if set to true. The only things enabled
>here are Mic Boost and external Amplifier (if you have those)

Yes, I ran into that as well. Interestingly it seems the settings for
'Mic' are completely ignored. It kind of makes me wonder about the
naming of things :-)

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Increasingly, people seem to misinterpret complexity as sophistication,
which is baffling--the incomprehensible should cause suspicion rather than
admiration.
     -- Niklaus Wirth