Re: Onboard Modem

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 20:44 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:12:46AM -0300, Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 09:27 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
> > Hmmm...
> >
> > That's a good idea.
> > I'll consider it as well, so I know there is a way out. :)
> >
> > Thank you for your suggestion.
> > --
> Open the computer case - throw away the modem card. Get an external serial
> port modem. It has real lights :) It will also have better surge
> suppression and better quality components inside. From experience, I've
> never had a problem with external modems.  Then use pppconfig under
> Debian - and enjoy the ease of use.  HSF modems were an attempt
> to transfer most of the modem processing functionality to the processor
> inside the machine rather than using good quality circuits and ICs
> in a dedicated box.  Google for Linuxant if you want to do all this
> using the HSF board - but received wisdom says that the end result is
> never as good as a proper serial modem. Only if you're dealing with
> a laptop, where you can't throw away the modem inside and newer laptops
> don't have serial ports, should you consider software modems. All IMHO
>
> Andy

Fellows,

Ok. Thank you. You have already made up my mind.
You see, I was convinced to try to install a modem driver properly that
suit my onboard modem. I was convinced that it would be a good teaching
of the linux internals it self.
But what I like most, is this list. It is a true voluteering. So I may
let the time teach its lesson an still walk down the open shortest path
first. :)

Thank you. Consider the problem solved. :)
--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron