Re: Onboard Modem

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:12:46AM -0300, Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 09:27 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
> Hmmm...
>
> That's a good idea.
> I'll consider it as well, so I know there is a way out. :)
>
> Thank you for your suggestion.
> --
Open the computer case - throw away the modem card. Get an external serial
port modem. It has real lights :) It will also have better surge
suppression and better quality components inside. From experience, I've
never had a problem with external modems.  Then use pppconfig under
Debian - and enjoy the ease of use.  HSF modems were an attempt
to transfer most of the modem processing functionality to the processor
inside the machine rather than using good quality circuits and ICs
in a dedicated box.  Google for Linuxant if you want to do all this
using the HSF board - but received wisdom says that the end result is
never as good as a proper serial modem. Only if you're dealing with
a laptop, where you can't throw away the modem inside and newer laptops
don't have serial ports, should you consider software modems. All IMHO

Andy