Re: Onboard Modem

Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 09:27 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 18:40 +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 09:54 -0300, Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:
Fellows!

Just to know it: Does somebody here experienced putting this onboard
modem to work on linux?

I connect to Internet through LAN, but I want to try doing it with a
cell phone, as we got phone call credits from the Telco every month
which we do not use completely.
Unless your cellphone allows you to put a phone line in it, this won't
work.  The only way in which you'll be able to use your computer modem
to make a cellphone call, is to use a cellphone-to-landline converter of
sorts.  I think Nokia has such a beast - it takes your sim card, and you
plug your ordinary phone or fax machine into it.

Another option is a GSM modem (assuming you're on a GSM network).  It
sits on your serial port, like an ordinary modem, but does the
conversion to cellphone language.

Maybe there are other ways to do this with normal cellphone calls (as
opposed to using GPRS or 3G or a similar technology), but I don't see
you doing it with an ordinary cellphone and an ordinary modem.

Hans

Fellow,

I have already managed this part.
I have got the so called converter, the same used to make PABX output
lines to make calls to cell phones form the same operaotr telephone
number. I am sure it works.

My problem resides in the mother board. I've just explained the
applicaiton in order to explain why - if I am already with an Internet
access - I still need another way to get it.

You might save yourself a lot of pain by using an external serial port modem. Almost any model should work easily in Debian. A few years ago I just bought the cheapest available - an ELSA MicroLink 56k Fun II - and it worked first time.

Chris.

Fellow!

Hmmm...

That's a good idea.
I'll consider it as well, so I know there is a way out. :)

Thank you for your suggestion.
There is a HOWTO at http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Setting_up_a_serial_modem_using_Wvdial which might make things easy :)

Chris.