Re: open source Solution for Active Directory Services

Is PDC the same thing as ADS?  I thought not.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2003-October/075779.html

Maybe subsequent releases of SAMBA 3.0.x have implemented the
capability to become an ADDC, but v3.0.0 can not.

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 07:07 +0200, Jan-David Salchow wrote:
> hi
> i implemented a samba / ldap solution in my school. we have about 200
> client computers and 1400 users. it works great. since we have a slave
> ldap directory and a backup domain controller, we don't have downtimes
> anymore.
>
> the only nast thing is that you will not find a management software
> for managing your accounts. for my school, i wrote one my self, but it
> is not stable yet (but it works). so if you wanna take a look at my
> solution, you find it at http://aoc.sf.net. it will stabilize in the
> summer.
>
> jan-david salchow
>
> "satyashil rane" <satyashil.rane@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I want to know the open source solution for Windows Active directory  Services
> > My primary Goal is to set up a Linux box having Directory where all other mix
> > of Windows and Linux client will join to this domain. Most of the client
> > machines would be windows xp.
> >
> > I have already googled for this requirement and understood that it can be done
> > with Open LDAP and Samba, but I would love here the experience of the people
> > who have already implemented this solution.
> >
> > Can someone please suggest me a open source solution or detailed document to
> > how to go about?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Satya

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Force and mind are opposites; morality ends where the gun
begins."
Ayn Rand