Re: grub-install in chroot not respected? [solved]

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 18:03 -0700, Christopher Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:21:20PM +0100, Wackojacko wrote:
> > Christopher Nelson wrote:
>   <snip>
> > >this appeared to have worked, as did subsequent 'grub-install's, but
> > >when I rebooted, I was back in my debian setup on hdb, not the one on
> > >hda.
> >
> > Just a guess but you probably have grub installed on hdb also and the
> > BIOS may be set to boot from this instead of hda.  Try changing the boot
> > order in the BIOS.
> >
> > If still no success disconnect hdb and see if hda will boot.
>
> I did indeed have grub install on hdb, but the boot order in BIOS was
> correct.  I tried disconnecting hdb but got "error 21".  What ended up
> working for me was editting the boot stanza in grub to point to my hda
> install, then running grub-install from there.  Still don't know why it
> didn't work in the chroot though, would be interested to find out.
>
> --
> Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
> Send some filthy mail.

There has been a post a few days ago where you can find another solution
to your problem: run grub with the new root-dir as parameter (no chroot
required)

grub-install --root-directory=new/ /dev/hdX

this way, grub will use your "root-to-be"-directory and not the current
root directory.

Philippe De Ryck