Re: grub-install in chroot not respected?

Christopher Nelson wrote:
I was trying to move all my debian stuff to one harddisk, so I created
an identically sized partition to my '/' (which contains boot) and
'dd'ed my '/' partition over.  I then chrooted into it successfully,
everything looked okay (files had the right permissions, etc), but when
I tried to run 'grub-install' with the new, changed menu.lst and
/etc/fstab it gave me the error:

The file /boot/grub/stage2 not read correctly

I googled around for that and a couple sources suggested running in the
grub shell:

	root (hd0,0)
	setup (hd0)
	quit

this appeared to have worked, as did subsequent 'grub-install's, but
when I rebooted, I was back in my debian setup on hdb, not the one on
hda.

I tried googling variations on 'installing grub chroot' but haven't
seemed to get very far.  Maybe a different search would be more
fruitful, but I can't come up with better terms.

Pertinent info:
Debian unstable
grub 0.97-7.1
linux-2.6.17-rc1 from kernel.org

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Just a guess but you probably have grub installed on hdb also and the BIOS may be set to boot from this instead of hda. Try changing the boot order in the BIOS.

If still no success disconnect hdb and see if hda will boot.

HTH

Wackojacko