Re: grub-install in chroot not respected? [solved]

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:21:20PM +0100, Wackojacko wrote:
> Christopher Nelson wrote:
  <snip>
> >this appeared to have worked, as did subsequent 'grub-install's, but
> >when I rebooted, I was back in my debian setup on hdb, not the one on
> >hda.
>
> Just a guess but you probably have grub installed on hdb also and the
> BIOS may be set to boot from this instead of hda.  Try changing the boot
> order in the BIOS.
>
> If still no success disconnect hdb and see if hda will boot.

I did indeed have grub install on hdb, but the boot order in BIOS was
correct.  I tried disconnecting hdb but got "error 21".  What ended up
working for me was editting the boot stanza in grub to point to my hda
install, then running grub-install from there.  Still don't know why it
didn't work in the chroot though, would be interested to find out.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Send some filthy mail.