Re: Thought on receiving two answers...

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 03:53:29PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Wednesday 19 April 2006 15:10, Magnus Therning wrote:
>
>> AFAICS it would be possible to get mailing list managing software, like
>> mailman, to add a header to email sent to lists indicating the senders
>> preference. Then well-behaved mail clients can use that header as a hint
>> when the user replies to a mailing list.
>
>Problem already solved.  The Debian list guidelines already make it
>clear that it is not acceptable to CC someone privately if you are
>posting to the list, and all quality mail clients have "Reply to
>Mailing List."

There are other lists than Debian lists in the world. Not all lists have
that policy. :-) Personally I _always_ reply to the list (L in
mutt(-ng)).

I just wanted to somehow achieve the following:

 1. When I post to a mailing list that I am subscribed to I want replies
    to the list.
 2. When I post to a mailing list that I'm not subscribed to I want a
    private reply.

It seems Mail-Followup-To: is the header I should be using. If I put the
mailing list's address in that header when posting to mailing lists then
quality clients will reply only to the list. If I put both the list's
and my private address in it replies will go to the list and to me
privately.

Now I only have to get mutt-ng to behave... its behaviour doesn't seem
to follow the documentation in this case :-(

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

Most people, I think, don't even know what a Rootkit is, so why should
they care about it?
     -- Thomas Hesse, president of Sony-BMG's Global Digital Business,
        commenting on XCP