Re: Partition image on the fly

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:41:59PM +0200, Andreas Rippl wrote:

> have you thought about using something like rsync? It will speed up the
> process of taking images tremenduously. As you are talking about a diary
> backup - I'm not too sure what you mean by that - have you looked at
> rsnapshot? Here is my backup script (clobbered together from the output
> of rsnapshot -t daily):

I do this as well, and it works great.  Another way to do it is using
rdiff-backup, which is fairly well tested at this point.  It takes a lot less
space than hardlink snapshots if you have huge files that change just a little
on a regular basis (like a big database).  It's much more complicated than
hardlink snapshots, though, so more things can go wrong.

If you use LVM snapshots (still marked "experimental" in the newest kernel but
seems to be stable), I *believe* you can even trust that things like live
databases will have a valid backup, assuming your database has a journal like
Postgresql.  If that's wrong, someone pipe up.  Although I do daily database
dumps as well, I haven't thought of a reason why LVM snapshots of the database
directories in /var/lib shouldn't be flawless (assuming a database journal).