To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 11:15 AM
Subject: Partition image on the fly

 Hi!

 It is possible to make partition image on the fly? With the system
(*Linux
server) running?

 I think in the aproach: At midnigth (less system use), the script
remounts
partition readonly by some minutes while put the output of 'dd
if=/dev/...'
to a file in another HD on the same machine. Some word? Some trouble in do
so?

* The server is running several services like internet, mail, web, jabber,
mysql. I want to make a diary backup of it. Hardware resources are not
problem, I can use another machine, or DVD writer or another HD or the
three
options together.

 If it is not possible, what do you think about mount the system from
another system in the LAN via NFS, and use simple 'cp -R /mnt/nfs-server/
/backup/'? Obviously excluding dirs like /proc, /mnt, etc.

 PS: I already search google, tldp, etc and didnt find nothing with this
specifity level.

 Thank you
 Tom