Re: uninstall some TESTING packages

Craig Longman wrote:

> well, my worst nightmare with a package managed system.  i need to
> install qt-3.0.5 to get a fix for a daylight savings time bug, but was
> only available in the TESTING branch.  so i added it in, installed it
> and the other packages that were required from testing, unfortunately a
> version of glibc and binutils and a bunch of other obviously system wide
> things, and now my machine is behaving very badly.  i need to remove
> anything from the TESTING tree and replace it with the one(s) from
> STABLE.  then i'll just get the source code for qt 3.0.5 and install that.
>
> i would try and submit a bug report, but all i really see now is mythtv
> not connecting to the database for some reason and occasionally it
> seeming like X and the keyboard hanging.  not very helpful.
>
> any pointers greatly appreciated, i would hate to have to simply
> reinstall the whole thing all over again...
>
> cheers,
>
>    CraigL->Thx();

First, it may not be possible to revert.  However, if you need packages
from testing or unstable, you have a few options.  First, you can check
www.backports.org, which has some very recent qt packages compiled for
Sarge.  Second, you can try backporting the package yourself, which is
not difficult: http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez