Re: Partition image on the fly

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:15:22AM -0300, tomlobato wrote:

>   Hi!
>

>   It is possible to make partition image on the fly? With the system (*Linux
> server) running?
>
>   I think in the aproach: At midnigth (less system use), the script remounts
> partition readonly by some minutes while put the output of 'dd if=/dev/...'
> to a file in another HD on the same machine. Some word? Some trouble in do
> so?
>
>  * The server is running several services like internet, mail, web, jabber,
> mysql. I want to make a diary backup of it. Hardware resources are not
> problem, I can use another machine, or DVD writer or another HD or the three
> options together.
>

>   If it is not possible, what do you think about mount the system from
> another system in the LAN via NFS, and use simple 'cp -R /mnt/nfs-server/
> /backup/'? Obviously excluding dirs like /proc, /mnt, etc.
>

>   PS: I already search google, tldp, etc and didnt find nothing with this
> specifity level.
>

>   Thank you
>   Tom

Hi Tom,

have you thought about using something like rsync? It will speed up the
process of taking images tremenduously. As you are talking about a diary
backup - I'm not too sure what you mean by that - have you looked at
rsnapshot? Here is my backup script (clobbered together from the output
of rsnapshot -t daily):

#!/bin/bash

/bin/rm -rf /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.6/
mv /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.5/ /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.6/
mv /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.4/ /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.5/
mv /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.3/ /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.4/
mv /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.2/ /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.3/
mv /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.1/ /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.2/
/bin/cp -al /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.0/ /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.1/
/usr/bin/rsync -avx --delete /home/ /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.0/home/
/usr/bin/rsync -avx --delete --exclude=/swap /
/mnt/sda1/backup/daily.0/root/
touch /mnt/sda1/backup/daily.0/

The above backs up my /home and / partitions to a USB disk and rotates
the last seven backups. Another big advantage is the reduced space
consumption as only _changed_ files get backed up, unchanged files are
just hardlinks. Would something like this be useful to you?

Hth
--
Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
                 Key-ID: 0x81073379