Re: Printer for linux?

Doofus wrote:
> Evening chaps,
>
> I'm in the market for a printer and would appreciate any
> recommendations. I should think this is an oft asked question, but since
> the printer market seems to move at a rapier like pace, thought it ok to
> ask again for any recent experiences.
>
> I'd like a networked monochrome laser printer with duplex printing.
>

> I have no experience at all of printing with linux, and the couple of
> HOWTOs I've looked at suggest to me it's rarely a simple matter to get
> things up and running.
>
> My potted understanding is that unix/linux applications generally output
> postscript formatted data for printing and since Joe Public can't afford
> a postcript capable printer, postscript interpreters (eg ghostscript)
> have been developed which sit in between postscript data streams and non
> postscript (HP PCL?) printers. Do correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.
>
> I've been looking at the Brother range, in particular the HL-5250DN...
>
>    http://www.printerbase.co.uk/spec/pdf/brother_hl5250dn.pdf
>    (spec on page 2)
>

> ...which has true 1200x1200 resolution - but only 600x600 for a linux
> machine for some reason... (I should also say that windows applications
> will also be driving this thing).
>
> My main query in respect of this printer is Brother's "BR-Script". Does
> anyone understand this? Is it a proprietary effort to do the same thing
> as ghostscript, or does it mean you can actually treat the printer like
> a real postscript machine?
>
> Any advice gratefully received,

Personally, I have a CLP-550N and I am thoroughly pleased with it.  I
bought mine from newegg.  Unfortunately, Samsung discontinued the
CLP-500 series a while back and newegg only has available the CLP-550
(non-networked).  But the price is excellent.

Things I liked about it:

- color laser
- built in duplexer
- speaks native postscript