Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 10:36 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:32:48 +0300
> > Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>I agree. And the resulting text is not so unintelligible if you are
> >>used to phonetic spelling.
> >

> > Like the Romanian language has. (Just to be clear)
>
> Are you sure? Many native speakers of languages *think* they have
> phonetic spelling when they do not. I have, for example, had
> conversations with several Russians who believe that Russian
> is spelled phonetically. Phonetic means for each symbol there
> is exactly one sound associated,

I'm 99.9% sure that, in this case, "symbol" can mean "one or more
letters".  After all, how do you distinguish between "long vowel"
and "short vowel"?

>                                 and for each sound there is exactly
> one symbol. Many speakers of Spanish believe it is spelled
> phonetically (at least for the Madrid dialect) with just a few
> exceptions (like the "silent h"). This is quite untrue, but
> usually requires pointing out some counterexamples.
>
> As an example of the latter, the "s" is pronounced "z" before
> "m" and "d", like in "desde" which is pronounced "dezde"
> (meaning, roughly, "since"). I've had an argument one time with
> a fellow from Spain on this point, and until I got another
> speaker from Spain to listen, he wouldn't admit he had a
> Catalan accent because he pronounced it "desde".

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"A wise government knows how to enforce with temper, or to
conciliate with dignity."
George Grenville, British prime minister