Re: OT: Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:07:25 -0500

> On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 12:48 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > We should have gone all the way to simplified spelling.
> >
> > Surely you've seen that internet "joke" about simplified spelling, where
> > the silent e gets dropped, and y's that sound like an i get replaced by
> > an i, and the k sound of c is replaced by k, etc? Soon, the sample
> > paragraph is pretty much unintelligible. Somewhat amusing. Sorry I don't
> > have a link.

I found three versions. Here is my favorite:

http://www.speedybar.ch/witze/jokes2000/spelling.html

> It's unintelligible because of the way we've been trained.
>
> Seriously, though, some way to distinguish between long and short
> vowels still must be used, so that joke paragraph (which I also
> remember seeing) is a /reducto ad absurdum/.

I agree. And the resulting text is not so unintelligible if you are
used to phonetic spelling.

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)