Re: packages: apache, gd, mysql...

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 06:41:13PM -0300, BTP wrote:
> Yeah, see if I go ahead and try to install "php4-mysql", I have to
> install the unstable version which I wouldn't want because it will
> also upgrade a lot of other packages to the unstable version. How come
> I can't have mysql support with php4 and be stable???

I'm not sure why it's trying to pull in the unstable version of
php4-common.  But you are correct, if you do install it, you will
probably have to update a lot of other packages.  Do you perhaps have a
backports repository in your sources.list?  Or use apt-pinning?  If
either of those is yes, I'm afraid I don't have enough information to
help you.  If the answer is no, packages.debian.org shows the correct
dependancies and packages available--so I can't help you there either.

> So just for me to have php4 and mysql support with apache, is it worth
> doing all these updates to unstable?? My system is for personal use
> only as I use it for learning and experimenting purposes, but I still
> wouldn't want to have a system that crashes at random.

Unstable in that regard is probably a misnomer.  My own computer crashes
every couple days, but that's probably hardware
failure/incompatabilities -- everyone else I know using unstable has 15+
day uptimes, usually only going down to replace an old kernel or
add/remove hardware.
What isn't a misnomer in unstable is that there is sometimes package
breakage.  For example, look at the recent X.org postings so many people
have made.
If you don't need the newest, shiniest toys or want to help test out the
newest stuff (me) I'd recommend sticking with stable wherever possible.

> Seems unfortunate to have to upgrade all those packages to unstable
> just to get mysql support... I wish all programs would just support
> postgres!

>From what I've heard it's a scales better (but I haven't looked into it
recently), so it probably would be worth it to urge the developers of
whatever program you need to support it (or better yet, if you've the
programming skills, write up a patch and send it in to them).

Hope someone more knowledgable can help you,
--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
Contents may settle during shipment.