Re: packages: apache, gd, mysql...

On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 01:20:00AM -0300, BTP wrote:
> I tried doing an "apt-get install php4-mysql" but got the following
> error message...

> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.

>   php4-mysql: Depends: phpapi-20020918
>               Depends: php4-common (= 4:4.3.10-16) but 4:4.4.0-2 is to
> be installed
> E: Broken packages

Are you using stable, testing, or unstable?  Or mixing?  A quick look
through the package listing shows only stable depends on that version,
and that's the testing/unstable version that's to be installed.  There's
no bug report to the effect of what you're reporting.  Have you done an
'apt-get update'?

  <snip package listing>

> I'm having doubts about this whole package system.

I've never personally seen the packaging system broken, but occasionally
packages in unstable are.  'Tis the nature of unstable.

> Seems like a lot of
> people are having problems with it.

Most of the reports are problems with the X packages, not the packaging
system.  Or Xandros users who, being silly, try and mix with debian.

> Wouldn't it be better if everyone
> just learned how to do things from source??

Ick, then you'd have to:
a) compile everything personally, taking days to install a system on old
   hardware and leaving small disks out in the water
b) watch the website for _everything_ you have installed to monitor
   securtiy updates, download the new source and recompile it -- taking
   your service offline too long; with package management you just have
   to watch one place usually, if the packagers are on the ball, as
   debian's are

> If anyone knows why this problem came up I would appreciate some
> suggestions.  Otherwise, I think I'm going to pursue the source
> route..

A lot of people are happy with that route, but remember to watch very
very carefully for security updates.  I mean every day.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
The opulence of the front office door varies inversely with the fundamental