X broken after upgrade on unstable

I'm running unstable. I've done an apt-get update and an apt-get
dist-upgrade yesterday and didn't restart the computer until today. When I
was hit by this problem (I start with `startx` from console):

(EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

So I check and find out that /usr/X11R6/lib/modules is not there anymore! I
do a package search for libpcidata.so and libbitmap.so and find them in
/usr/lib/xorg/modules. I symlinked that modules/
dir to /usr/X11R6/lib and X starts, I get the checkered
background and mouse cursor (moving) but nothing else.

Next I look at the console and I get all the errors below. Does anybody know
what's going on? I know I run unstable, but still, breaking X packages is a
big one.

Before you ask, no package currently lists a SecurityPolicy file.

(EE) Failed to load module "v4l" (module does not exist, 0)
error opening security policy file /usr/lib/xserver/SecurityPolicy
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            Can't find file "ro-xlife" for symbols include
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
AUDIT: Mon Apr 17 21:08:43 2006: 9733 X: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: No protocol specified

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
AUDIT: Mon Apr 17 21:08:45 2006: 9733 X: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: No protocol specified

giving up.
xinit:  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.