Re: CUPS printer error for Canon BJC-250

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 09:36 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
> Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

> > > Try using the CUPS web interface - I have never had any problems
> > > with it: http://localhost:631. In the past, gnome-cups-manager has
> > > not been totally reliable. Instructions at
> > > http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Setting_up_a_parallel_printer_using_CUPS
> > > have been tested on Sarge (stable) but should be OK if you are
> > > using etch (testing) or sid (unstable).
> > >
> > > Chris.
> > >

> >  Fellow,
> >
> >  Thank you for your answer.
> >
> >  I followed your suggestion. The web interface was easy to use. I
> >  deleted previous printer configuration. Added it once again. This
> >  time the device was properly pointed to /dev/lp0.
> >
> >  I printed a test page. The job appeared in job list as cancelled.
> >  When I restared the job, in the Jobs page, I got this message:
> >
> >  Error:
> >
> >  client-error-not-possible
> >

> >  I use the stable version of Sarge.
> >
> >  It can't be that hard. There must be something simple that's missing.
> >

> >  Happy Eastern.
>
> Hello Fernando - I have moved this to a new thread so you might get more
> This makes the thread more logical and easier to read.)
>
> I Googled for your error - search string "cups
> client-error-not-possible" - and found that this problem has cropped up
> before (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/05/msg02472.html). The
> suggestions were
>
> 1. Do you have the gs-esp package installed?
>
> Also
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-cups-devel/2006-March/001063.html
> suggests that this is a fairly common problem with testing/unstable. Are
> you using Sarge (stable)?
>
> 2. Post the recent entries in your CUPS error log. You can view the log
> file in an X terminal window:
>
>     $ tail /var/log/cups/error_log
>
> Select the text with the mouse and copy using ctrl-shift-c. Paste it
> into your email client using ctrl-v.
>
> Alternatively view /var/log/cups/error_log with a text editor.
>
> Chris.

Fellow Chris,

Answering your question.

1. I didn't have gs-esp installed. After installing it, I could send a
job properly to the printer as root, and it appeared listed on jobs
queue not as canceled any longer.
2. I use Debian Sarg, stable.
3. Thid is the output of the error_log from cups.

I [17/Apr/2006:09:40:53 -0300] Adding end banner page "none" to job 1.
I [17/Apr/2006:09:40:53 -0300] Job 1 queued on 'Balzac' by 'octave'.
I [17/Apr/2006:09:40:53 -0300] Started
filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 3397) for job 1.
I [17/Apr/2006:09:40:53 -0300] Started
filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 3398) for job 1.
I [17/Apr/2006:09:40:53 -0300] Started
filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoprinter (PID 3399) for job 1.
I [17/Apr/2006:09:40:53 -0300] Started
backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/canon (PID 3400) for job 1.
E [17/Apr/2006:09:44:16 -0300] IsAuthorized: pam_authenticate() returned
7 (Authentication failure)!
I [17/Apr/2006:09:44:25 -0300] Started
"/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/jobs.cgi" (pid=3497)
I [17/Apr/2006:09:44:30 -0300] Started
"/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/jobs.cgi" (pid=3499)
I [17/Apr/2006:09:44:32 -0300] Started
"/usr/lib/cups/cgi-bin/jobs.cgi" (pid=3501)

Some more info:
1. The printer auto test - started from the printer it self - runs
perfectly.
2. When I delete a pritner, shutdown PC, shutdown the printer, restart
both, add a printer, configure it, and print as a regular user an email
from Evolution, it just accepts the job, and print only half the first
line.

No errors of this sort are reported as it can be seen above.
The authentication failure is related to the root login I applied at the
http://localhost:631 login screen.

What now? :)

Thanks in advance and best regards!

--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron