CUPS printer error for Canon BJC-250

Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:

 On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 09:34 +0100, Chris Lale wrote:

> Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:
>
>> Fellows,
>>
>> I have recently installed Debian on my PC. I have migrated from
>> Mandriva 2006, so much of the configuration concerning
>> peripherals were ignored by me. Now I regret.
>>
>> I chose the net-installation, method, with only Desktop option in
>> packages selection.
>>
>> The printer - Canon BJC-250 - is detected by the hardware. I have
>> downlaoded and installed through Synaptic the gimp-print,
>> foomatic and other drivers.
>>
>> The configuration through gnome-cups-manager is finished, but i
>> cannot print anything on that printer! Any document sent to print
>> does not create any entry on Printer's Job list.
>>
>> When in connection Tab, it points to Network Pritner, but the
>> printer is local. If I chage it to Detected Printer, and close
>> the manager, it does not update the entry.
>>
>> I only get an output if I do something like: echo TEXT > /dev/lp0
>>

>> What testifies that the printer is running.
>>
>> It looks like I have no permission for that.
>>
>> By the way, when I choose: Become Administrator in
>> gnome-cups-manager in the terminal (the application was started
>> from the terminal window) I get erros like 'authentication
>> failure' althought the root password is properly entered and the
>> manager moves on with no error on graphical desktop.
>>
>> I am in a loss of what to do now.
>>
>> Thanks in advance and best regards.
>>
> Try using the CUPS web interface - I have never had any problems
> with it: http://localhost:631. In the past, gnome-cups-manager has
> not been totally reliable. Instructions at
> http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Setting_up_a_parallel_printer_using_CUPS
> have been tested on Sarge (stable) but should be OK if you are
> using etch (testing) or sid (unstable).
>
> Chris.

 Fellow,

 Thank you for your answer.

 I followed your suggestion. The web interface was easy to use. I
 deleted previous printer configuration. Added it once again. This
 time the device was properly pointed to /dev/lp0.

 I printed a test page. The job appeared in job list as cancelled.
 When I restared the job, in the Jobs page, I got this message:

 Error:

 client-error-not-possible

 I use the stable version of Sarge.

 It can't be that hard. There must be something simple that's missing.

 Happy Eastern.

Hello Fernando - I have moved this to a new thread so you might get more responses. (Please add your repiles to the bottom of previous posts. This makes the thread more logical and easier to read.)

I Googled for your error - search string "cups client-error-not-possible" - and found that this problem has cropped up before (http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/05/msg02472.html). The suggestions were

1. Do you have the gs-esp package installed?

Also http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-cups-devel/2006-March/001063.html suggests that this is a fairly common problem with testing/unstable. Are you using Sarge (stable)?

2. Post the recent entries in your CUPS error log. You can view the log file in an X terminal window:

   $ tail /var/log/cups/error_log

Select the text with the mouse and copy using ctrl-shift-c. Paste it into your email client using ctrl-v.

Alternatively view /var/log/cups/error_log with a text editor.

Chris.