Re: trouble getting my wireless stuff to work

On Sunday 16 April 2006 04:43 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> Chris Lale wrote:
> > tom arnall wrote:
> >> i am a linux newbie having trouble getting my wireless stuff to work.
> >> i am running debian on a toshiba satellite laptop. the wireless card
> >> is a d-link dwl-g650. i am looking for info on the latest debian
> >> methods for dealing with this technology.
> >
> > Look at
> > http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/InstallDebianSarge
> >. Should also work fine for Etch/Sid.
> >
> > Chris.

i confess to having tried -- in a fit of desperation ;o) -- the ndiswrapper
route, but got the same error when the compiler got to 'processor.h'.

> He's not on sarge, he's on etch (Testing). And his card doesn't need
> ndiswrapper, there's a native Linux driver for it (madwifi). The problem
> is that for some reason he can't get it to compile using etch's gcc.
>
> Tom (Original Poster) -- I suggest you post a question to the home site
> of the Madwifi driver and ask if there's a different version for etch.
> They are very debian-friendly there so they'll know what you are talking
> about. If you tell them what version of gcc you are using and explain
> where you got the driver source from, they'll probably be able to help
> you out very quickly. Sorry I couldn't be more help. If you get this
> sorted -- please let me know what the solution was in the end.

i got the card to work with the madwifi driver. see my last post with
subject 'gcc error trying to compile the madwifi driver' for details.

thanks very much to everyone. i think the biggest benefit of this process has
been to discover this community.

tom arnall
north spit, ca