Re: Today's disaster with xorg update

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 12:50:43 -0400, nick lidakis wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> >I get the same error message, but X still starts for me, both with
> >"startx" from the console and with graphical log-in via kdm. Therefore I
> >would guess that you have an additional problem. Do you find any error
> >messages or warnings in the log files after you try to start X?
> >
> >Try to run
> >
> >egrep '^\((EE|WW)\)' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> >
> >Maybe that will turn up something useful to diagnose the problem.
> >

> I was able to get xorg started with your suggestion, but startx
> disregards my .xsession and tries to start twm (from
> /usr/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc), whicj is not installed. I'm thinking I
> maybe deinstalled some package by mistake.

It might be important to know what the error messages or warnings were,
and what you did to get rid of them. If I remember correctly, you could
start Xorg 7.0 when we discussed about your whiteglass mouse cursor, so
what kind of problems did arise? Did you do another upgrade?

As a first, very general suggestion: Try to put your commands into
$HOME/.xinitrc and see if that takes precedence over whatever is in the
system-wide xinitrc. You could also try to reinstall the package
"xbase-clients".

--
Regards,
          Florian