Re: trouble getting my wireless stuff to work

tom arnall wrote:
I haven't made much headway with this, other than there does seem to be
a change between the sarge gcc and the etch / sid gcc in this area.

Since I'm running sarge I can't immediately try it myself.

One idea though -- given the level of support and Debian-friendliness
I've found from the last few days' googling for Madwifi, I'd be stunned
if the guys who put this driver together would deliver something that
wouldn't work with etch or sid (the usual disclaimers about testing and
unstable notwithstanding). Especially given that the available packages
are in /unstable and as such are targetting sid...

There's a sarge-friendly version out there I noticed from my googling --
where did you get the version of the driver you are trying to compile?
Is there any chance you've picked up a sarge version of the driver and
are trying to compile it under etch or sid?

Just a thought...

Mark

Mark,

thanks very much for your help in this thing.

how do i tell if my kernel is sarge or sid/etch? 'uname -a' gives me:
	Linux debian 2.6.8-2-386

i am trying to stay with the testing segment of debian. will getting the sid or etch version of the kernel force me to go to unstable?
Debian flavors: stable, testing and sid are not connected to kernels but that may just a word use question. A simple way to determine what flavor you have is to look at /etc/apt/sources.list. Some of the lines in that file will contain one or more of some of the words: stable, sarge,etch, texting, unstable or sid. There are a couple of other files that might contain that information but I don't remember them right now.

Paul Scott