Re: trouble getting my wireless stuff to work

Mark Fletcher wrote:

--- tom arnall <kloro@cox.net> wrote:

Looks like whether or not there's a working Linux
driver for your wireless card depends on the
hardware
revision of your particular card. For your card
there
appear to be 3 revisions and only 1 (C1) is
reported
to have a working native Linux driver. Check out
this
link to help you figure out which revision you
have:
http://support.dlink.com/products/DWLG650.asp

If you are lucky and have the C1 revision, use the
MadWiFi Linux driver. If not, try the Prism or
Madwifi
drivers and if you can't get them to work, fall
back
to the ndiswrapper approach -- but if at all
possible
use a native Linux driver.

Once you've figured out if you have the C1
revision or
not, post back here if you need help with getting
the
driver included in the kernel and other setup, or
if
you need help with ndiswrapper.

HTH

Mark
indeed, i could use some help setting up the madwifi
driver. specifically, in the error output from the compiler:

OK let me look into this and get back to you.
Mark
I haven't made much headway with this, other than there does seem to be a change between the sarge gcc and the etch / sid gcc in this area.

Since I'm running sarge I can't immediately try it myself.

One idea though -- given the level of support and Debian-friendliness I've found from the last few days' googling for Madwifi, I'd be stunned if the guys who put this driver together would deliver something that wouldn't work with etch or sid (the usual disclaimers about testing and unstable notwithstanding). Especially given that the available packages are in /unstable and as such are targetting sid...

There's a sarge-friendly version out there I noticed from my googling -- where did you get the version of the driver you are trying to compile? Is there any chance you've picked up a sarge version of the driver and are trying to compile it under etch or sid?

Just a thought...

Mark

	make[2]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386'
CC [M] /home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o
	In file included from include/asm/thread_info.h:16,
              	  from
include/linux/thread_info.h:21,
              	  from include/linux/spinlock.h:12,
              	  from
include/linux/capability.h:45,
              	  from include/linux/sched.h:7,
              	  from include/linux/module.h:10,
              	  from
/home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal/ah_osdep.c:46:
	include/asm/processor.h:93: error: array type has
incomplete element type
	make[3]: ***
[/home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o]
Error 1
	make[2]: ***
[_module_/home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal] Error
2
	make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386'
	make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
	make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal'
	make: *** [modules] Error 1

the line 'include/asm/processor.h:93: error: array
type has incomplete element type' refers to the following bit of code in
'processor.h':

	extern struct tss_struct init_tss[NR_CPUS];

i did further research which seems to indicate that
version 4 of the gcc compiler doesn't like declarations of the form:

	extern struct foobar array[];

but wants to see instead the form:

	extern struct foobar *array;

but i don't know enough about gcc to determine if
indeed this kind of problem is the problem with the declaration in 'processor.h'. and if it is, how does the principle apply to the declaration in 'processor.h'? i.e., wtf do i need to change in the header file? further, i cannot find on the internet anything like a comprehensive list of gcc error messages.

thanks in advance for your ideas,

tom arnall
north spit, ca