Re: LVM2 and custom kernel

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 11:00 -0400, David Clymer wrote:
> That sounds right... You could try starting with
> your /boot/config-2.6.16-x-foo file from the debian kernel (since that
> should have the required options selected) and customizing from there.

I didn't really see anything I have missed..

> You could also try recreating the initrd image just in case there was
> some condition at the time the image was built that prevented it from
> getting all required lvm stuff added.
>
> What is the panic message you are getting?

"Cannot open root device 'mapper/main-root' or unknown-block (0,0)"
"kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block (0,0)".

If it helps, this is my LVM-setup:

/dev/hda1, 512MB, ext3, mounted at /boot
/dev/hda2, 55GB, LVM (main)
	root, 12GB, ext3, mounted at /
	home, 44GB, reiserfs, mounted at /home
	tmp, 512MB, ext3, mounted at /tmp

I tried to recreate the initrd-image using mkinitrd (it says that volume
group "main" is found), but still it doesn't boot.

Any more suggestions? my initrd-file is about half the size of the
2.6.16 one, but i guess thats just because I have less modules?

- Morten