Re: LVM2 and custom kernel

On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 23:15 +0200, Morten O. Hansen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to build a custom kernel, and everything works except LVM2.
> When the kernel is booting, and the lvm-script is trying to mount the
> discs, it gives me a kernel-panic. I have googled it a bit, and I tried
> adding "--initrd" to make-kpkg, but that didn't work. I also tried
> adding "mkimage=/usr/sbin/mkcramfs %s %s" to /etc/kernel-img.conf, but
> no luck.
>
> Any ideas what to do?

Which kernel are you compiling? Is it a debian kernel or a vanilla one
from kernel.org?
What version of debian are you running?
What bootloader are you using?
Do you have the lvm2 package installed?

Make sure that an initrd image exists. If you are compiling a kernel
version 2.6.8-4-foo, there should be a /boot/intrd.img-2.6.8-4-foo. If
after installing your kernel, you don't see that file, do:

# mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-4-foo 2.6.8-4-foo

That should create your initrd image. Assuming you are using grub,
running update-grub should take care of creating the appropriate entry
in your menu.lst.

-davidc
--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg